A solar combiner box helps bring the output of several solar strings together. This way, people can make the most of the available solar energy and use it for residential or commercial purposes.
For homes and organizations that run a large solar power setup that contains a couple of panels with several strings,a suitable solar combining box this helps to integrate the power of all the strings in one place, which makes control and maintenance easier.
Combiner boxes are inexpensive in relation to other solar panel components, but provide the whole system with numerous outstanding benefits.
Let’s have a look at what a solar combiner box is.
The solar combiner box is a strong device that combines multiple solar panel strings from photovoltaic (PV) cells. It culminates and brings the flowing output of the strings in one place, providing a perfect enclosure and easing their operation.
The connected strings can be AC or DC. But it must be noted that only one type should be connected in a box as they operate at different voltages. So, an AC combiner box, which usually has its contact arc extinguishing structure in the grid form should be used for solar panel strings with AC voltage. The case is the opposite for DC solar panel strings as the extinguishing device structure is the majority in the magnetic blowing form.
Solar combining box was invented following the need to make use of solar energy and enhance seamless operation. In conjunction with this, many companies are manufacturing various devices that help in converting resources like sun, water, and wind into energies that are capable of solving the world’s problems.
A solar combiner box is similar to a junction box, an electrical enclosure that connects several wires and cables through various ports. Even though solar combiner boxes are designed to be compact and simple, they offer numerous benefits, which are highlighted below.
- Having integrated all the wires in one place, they reduce the number of connections to the fuse terminals, making it possible to locate each wire easily.
- With solar combiner boxes, people find it easier and faster to operate the whole solar panel system from one point. They simplify maintenance and repairs as every connection is easily located, detached, and reconnected.
- Solar combiner boxes prevent too much power from entering the inverter, serving as a rapid remote shutdown switch as all the wires are connected to them. They can be used to quickly shut down the system in the event of a voltage surge. This offers guaranteed safety and peace of mind, as well as limited damage, ensuring that extra money is not spent on buying another inverter.
- Problems that result from too many wire connections like hooking cords into the inverter are eliminated.
- Solar combiner boxes ensure that the wires are in proper order to prevent energy loss from the panels to the inverter.
- Helps in saving money. It reduces the cost of both material and labor as the number of wires connected to the inverter is reduced.
- Solar combiner boxes’ simplicity of installation helps in reducing extra costs.
- They can also be used for storing numerous auxiliary components like hardware for surge protection, string monitoring, and DC disconnects.